Sunday, April 6, 2014

Day #6: Cleaning Advice from an Older and Much Wiser Woman

In the spirit of Titus 2- where older women are encouraged to mentor younger women on how to love their husbands and children and take care of their homes- I have asked Debbie some questions about how she goes about her spring cleaning and cleaning in general.   I hope her wisdom will encourage you today and motivate you to keep on serving the Lord by caring for your home!

Author's note: Debbie is a wonderful, godly woman who is a mother of 7 children.  She has 2 still at home, and often will take in others who need a place to stay or she is off at the church heading up the children's programs.  God has blessed her with much energy and wisdom.  I am so thankful for the time that she was able to mentor me, before we moved.  Here is our conversation:

What is your favorite go-to cleaner?

I use many of the products sold by Don Aslett from the Clean Report – they are NOT all-natural but very effective and work well on my rust stains from hard water and other cleaning challenges that I have faced during the years.  I also use microfiber cloths that really make clean up easier (I buy those from Sam's Club).

How long does your spring cleaning actually take you? 

I usually set aside 2 weeks to do my entire house.  I used to be able to do it in a week but I must be slowing down.  :)

Is there a certain scripture passage/music that inspires you as your clean?

I listen to “peppy” music when I am cleaning to help keep me moving.  I am a morning person so I tackle it right away after I have had my quiet time!

How do you recommend that moms with little kids go about their spring cleaning?

Tackle a room at a time – even a drawer or a closet at a time and keep it clutter free and organized.  It takes time to plow through an entire house but is well worth it when you are finished and keep it up.

Any words of advice as far as involving children in the cleaning process?

The Village Church has an excellent appendix with their parenting class ,with specific jobs you can assign to children to train them. 

(This resource in found towards the back of the pdf.  It lists out age-appropriate chores from 9 months-10 years! It looks like a great resource to print out and put in your homemaking binder or hang on your fridge!)

When there seems to be 5,000,000 things you HAVE to do and cleaning is one of them, how do you prioritize and keep everything in perspective?

Start my day always with the Lord and ask Him to order my day and bring order to my day!

What is your favorite thing about spring cleaning?

My favorite thing about spring cleaning is to finish a room and then sit in there and enjoy the fruits of my labor!  I enter each room with three boxes:  one for trash, one to give away and one to place in another room.  This helps me really 'purge' a room and either find a new home for items or get rid of it all together.  Either way, I leave a room with a sense of accomplishment! 


The hardest part of spring cleaning is GETTING STARTED!

---

Thanks Debbie for your wisdom!  I loved hearing her perspective and encouragement, especially the reminder to seek the Lord first in ALL things (even cleaning!).
"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ."  Colossians 3:23-24

1 comment: